First time podcasting? Here are a few tips to have a good easy recording session.
equipment & software
- Learn more about the sound check and downloading recording software here.
- Recording will be done in my video room https://caffeinecreations.daily.co/website-101-podcast. No video recordings, just audio. Once there click on "Join on your computer". This site only works in Google Chrome, if you don't have Chrome, we can meet using Skype.
- Headphones and a good microphone.
- Disable any ambient noise reduction settings on your local computer for the microphone you are using.
- If you can, be on an ethernet connection rather than wi-fi.
day of recording
- Reboot your computer the morning of the recording.
- Shut down all non-essential applications.
- Pause or shut-off background applications that do backups or monitoring (like Time Machine, Dropbox, Google Drive Sync, and Backblaze or similar).
- Close unnecessary browser tabs and windows.
- Put your phone on silent or Do Not Disturb mode (you can also put macOS into Do Not Disturb mode).
- Put any other Slack accounts into Do Not Disturb mode.
- Inform others around you that you are recording so that there are no interruptions.
sound check & recording
- Sound check starts 15 minutes before your scheduled recording. Please be in the video room at least 5 minutes prior to sound check.
- If weirdness occurs (can't hear me, can't connect, etc), reload your browser and enter the room again.
- Remove any ambient noise where you are: kick your cat(s) out, turn off your phone, close the door.
- I aim for 30-40 minutes per recording, but sometimes sessions go over or under.
- When recording it may feel like more time has passed than what actually has. Don't worry about going over/under but if you want to know how much time, run this online stopwatch while recording so you can see at a glance.
- Episodes are not live and are edited, so there is room for mistakes. Don’t worry about being perfect!
- Relax and be yourself!